window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'AW-990363195'); gtag('config', 'AW-990363195/-KDwCMX2sd4BELv8ntgD', { 'phone_conversion_number': '205-913-4057' });
6 Ways To Enforce Child Support Payments

6 Ways To Enforce Child Support Payments

Picture of a couple arguing during divorce.

Going through a divorce is hard on any family. The financial burden alone can cause stress and anguish for each parent. This is especially true if the non-custodial parent is shirking their duty to pay child support. Fortunately, the state of Alabama has laws in place to enforce orders for child support.

An attorney can ask a judge to enforce the child support order and a new order could be issued for collecting the support payments. The following are six ways to make sure you’re getting your child support payments.

1) Garnish wages

Child support payments can be deducted directly from the parent’s paycheck. This is the fastest and most effective way to enforce payments.

2) Report to credit bureaus

If the non-custodial parent owes more than $1,000 in child support, they can be reported to the credit bureaus. Once the parent pays off the balance, it will be reflected on their credit report. Due to credit law, the debt will remain on the report for seven years.

3) Income tax intercepts

Information regarding the parent’s debt can be report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the State Department of Revenue. Child support can then be deducted from the parent’s state or federal tax refund.

4) License revocation/suspension

If a parent has not paid their child support obligations, licenses can be taken away (revoked). This includes their driver’s license and any sporting, professional, or recreational license.

5) Passport restrictions

If the parent owes more than $2,500, they may be denied a passport.

6) Liens

A legal hold can be placed on the property of the non-custodial parent. Property can include real estate, vehicles, and bank accounts. Before the parent can sell or refinance any property, the child support debt must be paid in full.

When to contact a lawyer

The process for obtaining child support can be a complicated one, especially if a parent is uncooperative. If a substantial amount of time has passed without payment, you may want to consult an attorney experienced in family law matters. You should not have to struggle to financially support your child all on your own. Get the help you need in order to provide the very best for your family.

This blog post should not be taken as official legal advice. If you need more information about divorce, it’s best to speak with an experienced attorney, like Daniel H. Chambers, Attorney at Law, PC.

Mr. Chambers is a respected attorney in the Alabama legal community who takes pride in successfully negotiating favorable settlements for his clients because he never wants his clients to spend a dime more than necessary.

Mr. Chambers is also prepared to fight for you in the courtroom. He prepares every case as if it will head to trial because he wants to be ready to make the best possible arguments on your behalf at the negotiating table and in court.

Click here to get a free consultation with an experienced Birmingham, AL family lawyer.

We have used Daniel Chambers for legal services on several occasions since 2007 with excellent results. He has assisted our family in each matter with a professional yet tenacious manner. He has always been upfront about possible outcomes and honest about how to appropriately deal with challenging situations. I have recommended him several times over and will continue to do so. He has been an incredible asset to have on our legal team and we have always been satisfied with the results.

Melissa Childers




    All fields are required to send this form
    See why you can trust this form - view our privacy policy

    Daniel H. Chambers Attorney at Law, P.C.
    2081 Columbiana Road, Suite 3
    Vestavia Hills, AL 35216

    t. 205.913.4057

    Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.
    © 2024 Daniel H. Chambers Attorney at Law, P.C. All Rights Reserved. Site Map. Privacy Policy. Disclaimer.
    Website built and managed by Marketing Powers, LLC




      All fields are required to send this form
      See why you can trust this form - view our privacy policy

      { "@context": "", "@type": "Attorney", "name": "Daniel H. Chambers Attorney at Law, P.C.", "image": "", "@id": "", "url": "", "telephone": "205-913-4057", "priceRange": "$-$$$", "address": { "@type": "PostalAddress", "streetAddress": "2081 COLUMBIANA ROAD, SUITE 9", "addressLocality": "VESTAVIA HILLS", "addressRegion": "AL", "postalCode": "35216", "addressCountry": "US" }, "geo": { "@type": "GeoCoordinates", "latitude": 33.435445, "longitude": -86.8097555 } , "sameAs": [ "", "" ] }